Cameron Batson Released From The Atlanta Falcons After Alleged Violent Assault On Police Officer

Cameron Batson was a wide receiver for the Atlanta Falcons in the National Football League (NFL). Batson is alleged to have been involved in a fight and a shooting with police on Christmas Eve.  

Batson played in 27 games throughout his four-year NFL career. He was with the Tennessee Titans from 2018 to 2021. This season he was on the practice squad with the Falcons for the entire year. Batson was not active in any regular season Falcon games. In his 27 regular-season games, Batson registered 22 receptions for 197 yards and two touchdowns, plus he averaged 19.4 yards on 19 kickoff returns. Batson’s 2021 season was cut short because of a torn ACL, and he became a free agent during the offseason, signing with the Falcons. 

The Atlanta Falcons announced Monday the release of practice squad wide receiver Batson following the alleged criminal altercation with the police and his subsequent arrest. Facing charges of “aggravated assault, aggravated assault against a law enforcement officer when engaged in official duty, driving-fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer, removal or attempted removal of a weapon from a public official and battery,” Batson remains in a Fulton County Jail in Georgia as of Monday afternoon. 

According to ESPN’s Michael Rothstein, Fulton County jail records show that Batson was arrested early Saturday morning in Atlanta. As reported, police claim  Batson was observed speeding on Interstate 75. After a traffic stop was made, the police determined Batson was intoxicated. An attempt was made to take Batson into custody. “Batson then allegedly became combative, resisted and violently fought” an officer. 

A statement by the police claimed that “During the incident, the officer discharged his firearm, but no one was struck.” The statement elaborated: “The suspect was able to escape from the officer, re-enter his vehicle and flee the scene. He crashed a short distance away, near Northside Drive and Echota Drive, and ran on foot.” 

Several officers were brought in to search for Batson, eventually finding him nearby. He and the officer he is accused of fighting with were hospitalized to treat injuries they sustained during the incident.

D & B Staff

More from this show


Episode 7